Suicide of a Mail Cart Driver at Conisbro’.

September 1898

Sheffield Independent – Thursday 01 September 1898

Suicide of a Mail Cart Driver at Conisbro’.

Yesterday at the Eagle and Child Inn, Conisborough, Mr. F. E. Nicholson, the coroner for the Doncaster district, held an inquest touching the death of Charles Darley, aged 29, formerly employed driver of the mail cart between and Doncaster.

The deceased had been suspected of tampering with the mail bags entrusted to his care, and the result of enquiries made by the Post Office, who sent detectives to search his house, he had been suspended the the authorities.

Elizabeth Anne Darley, wife of the deceased was the first witness called. She stated that on the previous day her husband left his home in Chapel Street, Conisborough. This was between half past eleven and twelve, and went out the house told her was going away for two or three days to seek work. This was the last time she had seen him alive. She did not know he was in trouble of any kind.

Samuel Adolphus Rich, grinder, living in Chapel street, and next door to the deceased, said that while getting his tea on the 30th he was told that the clothes of the deceased had been found on the river bank. He went to the place with grappling iron, dragged for the body and assisted by a man named Franklin with another grappling iron, dragged for the body. He ultimately down the corpse on the deceased, which was dressed only in trousers and shirt, and was without hat, jacket, waistcoat, collar and tie, and boots. There was a rope tied round his left wrist past round his thigh, and secured to his right hand.

Witness knew that deceased’s mother had committed suicide in the river about ten months ago.

Police constable Duffin said he searched the body and clothes of the deceased, and found in one the pockets of his waistcoat a tailor’s Bill for 13s. 6d. and a county court judgment for £1 15s. 6d., upon which two sums of 12s. 9d. and 4s. 6d. had the paid

The Coroner said there was no doubt that the deceased had committed suicide. The only question was as to his state of mind at the time. There was evidence that he was in some difficulty and also the evidence that his mother had committed suicide.

Mr. Allport, postmaster Comsbro’ said he thought it ought to be stated that the deceased had just been suspended from the service.

The Coroner: There no need to go into that

The jury returned a verdict that deceased committed suicide temporarily insane.

At the conclusion of the inquest the jury handed their fees to the widow of the deceased