The Flannelette Danger – Child Fatally Burned at Old Denaby.

February 1921

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Saturday 26 February 1921

The Flannelette Danger.

Child Fatally Burned at Old Denaby.

On Thursday. February 17th, about 11 a.m., Mary Winifred Haines, the two year old daughter of Thomas Wm. Raines, of Field Cottages Old Denaby, was fatally burned during the momentary absence her mother from the house.

At the inquest on Friday, Alice Haines, the mother, said that she has been cleaning the fire grate and had drawn away the fire-guard for the purpose. It was the custom of the child to accompany her into the yard when she took way the ashes, but on this occasion the child remained behind. The witness warned the child not to go near the fire, but  she had been away front the house only a minute or two when she beard a scream, and hurrying back, found the child’s clothing in flames.

With the assistance of a neighbour, Mrs. White, the flames were quickly extinguished but not before the child had been extensively burned. Dr. McLean was sent for and ordered the child’s removal to hospital.

Death took place the same night. It was stated that the child’s underclothing was made of flannelette, and the Coroner, Mr. Frank Allen, while sympathising with the mother, advised her to discontinue the practice of clothing her children in this material.

A verdict of “accidental death” was returned.