South Yorkshire Times Nov 19, 1955
War Memorial Window.
Dedicated at Denaby Church.
There was a large and representative gathering at a special service in the Parish Church of All Saints, Denaby Main, on Sunday morning by the Vicar the Rev. A. V. Roebuck for the dedication of the new War Memorial Window.
The choir sang the anthem ‘And I Saw Another Angel’ soloist being Mr. C. P. Milner. The lesson was read by the Lay Reader and the Vicar read the list of the fallen in the war of 1939 and 1945 to whose memory the window was dedicated.
The procession to the Lady Chapel, in which the window has been installed, included the Crucifier, the Vicar, the Lay Reader the Churchwardens (Messrs E. Sheldrake and A. Holland) and Mr. F. Kelsall (Secretary to the Parochial Council).
The dedication took place between the singing of the verses of the hymn ‘O Valiant Hearts’.
During the service the flags of various organisations attending and the wreaths for the Cenotaph were placed in the Sanctuary. Those attending the service included Councillor George Cheshire J.P., (Chairman of the Conisbrough Urban District Council) ad members of the Council. Official and members of Denaby Comrades Club, members of the Women’s Section Denaby British Legion, W.R. Constabulary and Specials Constables, St. John Ambulane Brigade and Nursing Division, along with the Cadets and Cadet Band, members of the Home Guard and Territorials, Scouts and relatives and friend of those to whom the memorial was erected.
After the service a procession was led by Denaby Ambulance Band to the Cenotaph in the Memorial Park. Here the Vicar conducted a short service. Members of the Ambulance Cadet Band sounded the Last Post and the Reveille and wreaths were laid.
Poppy wreaths were placed by the Chairman of the Council (Councillor G. Cheshire).
The memorial window has been executed by a London artist in the modern style of window colouring and is very beautifully done. The left hand light depicts St. Michael standing on clouds. The scales of justice (his symbol) are above him. He is also the Chief Archangel and Captain of the Heavenly Host. Below him is the sea with a sea Spirit. The sea runs into the right hand light in which St. George is pictured standing on sea and land which represents the English coast. Behind him is the dragon slain, above him is a landscape of an English village, a symbol of the countryside which our Forces fought to protect. The tracery includes a Crown (symbol of victory and glory) surrounded by Cherubim and Seraphim.