Mexborough & Swinton Times – Saturday 20 July 1940
The wedding took place at Conisborough Parish Church on Sunday of Mr. William Haywood Appleyard, fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Appleyard, Croft House, March Street, Conisborough, and Miss Ellen Smith, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Smith. Church Street, Conisborough.
The bridegroom is a partner in the firm of Messrs. H. Appleyard and Sons and the bride is a sister in a children’s hospital in Manchester and her bridal attendant a sister from the same hospital.
The Vicar. Canon H. T. Eddershaw, officiated and the service was choral. Mr. W. Farmer playing appropriate bridal music and the hymns “Lead Us Heavenly Father” and “O Perfect Love” being sung.
The bride, who was given away by her mother, was dressed in white organdie, with a short veil in blue and a blue head-dress. She carried pink shaded roses and was attended by Miss Jean Greave (Glasgow), who was in floral silk and carried sweet peas.
Mr. Gilbert Sheldrake was best man and Mr. Herbert Smith, brother of the bride, groomsman. The bride’s mother was in a green coat, with a black hat and the bridegroom’s mother in a green costume with hat to match and both wore sprays of pink carnations.
Afterwards Mr. and Mrs. Appleyard left on their honeymoon for a mystery destination, the bride travelling in a navy blue coat with a navy felt hat.