Mexborough & Swinton Times – Saturday 04 July 1942
Dr. J. J. Huey
Well-Known Mexborough Doctor Retires
After over forty years as a medical practitioner in Mexborough, Dr. John James Huey has retired from practice.
Dr. Huey, who is a native of Castle Derg, Tyrone, Northern Ireland, obtained his professional training at Trinity College, Dublin, Glasgow University and London, and commenced practice in Melborough in 1899.
He has held many public appointments in his professional capacity and has also played a prominent part in the development of the St. John Ambulance Brigade in the South Eastern Area West Riding of Yorkshire.
It was in the year in which he began practice that Dr. Huey was appointed Medical Officer of Health to Mexborough Urban Council a position which he only relinquished a few years ago, and at the same time he was appointed medical officer to the Denaby and Cadeby Main Colliery workmen, honorary surgeon to the Mexborough Montagu Hospital and the Fullerton Hospital. Denaby Main, Public Vaccinator for the Mexborough and Barnburgh districts, Poor Law Medical Officer, and police surgeon to the West Riding Constabulary.
Subsequently he became a Medical Referee for the Ministry of Pensions. Medical Officer of Mexboro’ Infant Welfare Centre under the County Council, and an approved consultant under the Medical Treatment Act, 1930. He was also appointed a medical referee to a number of well-known assurance to companies.
During the Great War he was President of the National Service Medical Board at Rotherham, Military Representative in the 65th Recruiting Area, and Medical Officer in charge. Royal Air Force, Mexborough. In the present conflict he was made A.R.P. Casualty Officer for Mexborough. Dr. Huey has devoted a good deal of time to his St. John Ambulance Brigade work, a service of special importance in a colliery district such as South Yorkshire, and some years ago his efforts were acknowledged by his appointment as Commander (Brother) of the Order. He Is Assistant Commissioner of the No. 5 District. South Eastern Area, which extends from Wath-on-Dearne to Goole and comprises 42 corps and divisions.
Dr. and Mrs. Huey and their family have played a prominent part in the social life of the district. In the hey-day of such important functions as the Cricket Club Ball and the Hospital Ball. Dr. Huey was chairman of the committee which organised the former and co-operated whole-heartedly in the work of arranging the latter.
Dr. Huey officially terminated his professional duties on Tuesday. The practice is to be carried on by Dr. T. Lindsay.