Woman’s Courage Saves Neighbour In Flames.

April 1929

Sheffield Independent – Monday 29 April 1929

Woman’s Courage Saves Neighbour In Flames.

Whilst Mr. C. Ledger, a water inspector to the Conisborough Urban District Council, was at work at the house Mr. W. Nicholson, 14 Burcroft Hill, Conisborough, Saturday, he heard cries of distress.

Looking over the wall, he observed the next door neighbour. Mrs. F. Daniels, was a mass of flames.

Pulling off his coat, Mr. Ledger, who member Conisborough Fire Brigade, ran round into the yard accompanied Mrs Nicholson who took with her a large rug. In this the burning woman was rolled and a coat was whipped round her head.

The flames were extinguished but when medical attention was summoned Mrs. Daniels was found be suffering severely from shock and from burns.

“Mrs. Nicholson was a heroine” said Mr. Ledger, whilst Mrs. Nicholson explained that her reason for snatching the rug was that she had read of similar happenings in the newspapers.

Mrs. Daniels had lucky escape, her clothes being literally burned off her back. Yesterday afternoon she was stated to be as comfortable could expected.

It is presumed that her apron was set alight whilst was cleaning up the hearth,