Denaby Woman Drowns Herself – “Fed Up”

October 1939

Mexborough and Swinton Times October 21, 1939

“Fed up”

Denaby Woman Drowns Herself.

“I am fed up. I feel sometimes I could drown myself,” was the remark 23-year-old Phyllis Humphries, of 16 Ravenfield Street, Denaby Main, made two days before she disappeared from her home.

Her body was recovered from the River Don, at Conisborough last Thursday, and the Doncaster District Coroner, Mr W. H. Carlile, conducted an inquest on her at the Council Offices, Conisborough, on Friday.

Joseph Henry Humphries, Council labourer, of 16 Ravenfield Street, Denaby, identified the body as that of his daughter, and tall. The coroner she had been missing from home since Saturday, September 9.

She only worked for a few weeks when she was 14 years old, and was subject to epilepsy. His daughter had been in the West Riding Mental Home for two periods. She was discharged on Tuesday, August 29, this year, on account of the crisis, and she had had two bad spell since then, but witness thought she was recovering somewhat.

On Saturday, August 9 she went out at about 7:30 p.m. to purchase some chocolate and was not seen again.

Witness said his daughter had been out on her own nearly every day since her return from the Home.

Richard Schofield Emmerson, of Lock House, Conisborough, lock keeper, told the coroner that on Thursday, September 14, he was on duty at Conisborough Lock and saw a body floating in the Lock near the weir. He notified the police and it was recovered.

A friend of the girl, Sara Emmie Bassindale of 13, Calder Terrace, Conisborough, said on Wednesday, August 30, the girl had visited her, and witness had known her since childhood and knew she was subject to epilepsy will stop Phyllis said to her, “I am fed up, I feel sometimes I could drown myself.” Witness made her promise to go straight home and she went.

Dr DM Bell, of Conisborough, said he saw the body at Conisborough mortuary and there were no marks of violence to be found. He estimated that the body had been in the water about 5 to 7 days, and death was due to drowning.

The coroner recorded a verdict of “suicide whilst the balance of mind was disturbed.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.