Fatality at Denaby Main – Colliery – Matthew Taylor

November 1901

Mexborough and Swinton Times November 22.

Fatality at Denaby Main – Colliery – Matthew Taylor

The inquest was over Matthew Taylor, a miner who was injured on November 1. At Denaby , Main.

The coroner said that Mr Mellors, the Inspector of Mines, had not been able to be present as the inquest had been rather hurriedly arranged. In regard to the inspectorship, which was at present a trifle dislocated by the unfortunate death of Mr Wardell, the thing to do was for him to take the evidence, and let the jury decide if they required the inquest adjourning for the attendance of the inspector.

Mr Witty, was present as representing the Colliery Co.

Ada Taylor was the first witness called, and she stated that the diseased was her husband, and lived at Denaby, and was employed as a miner. He was 33 years of age. He had been one year and nine months in South Africa, and had only been working three weeks. He had worked in a pit before he went to the front.

In answer to the Coroner, Mr Witty, manager of the Colliery stated that deceased had been a getter.

Witness continuing, said that diseased was an healthy man. She had been married to him for six years. He was injured on 1 November, and brought to the hospital a week ago, the previous Friday. He died on Thursday (14th of November) at about half-past five. He never told her how he got injured, and he never said anyone was to blame in connection with the accident. He was not insured.

Patrick Keeting said he was the deceased man’s filler. The accident happened on the 1st November, at about eight o’clock in the evening. They both went to work at two o’clock that afternoon. They were unloading a tram of timber on the “sheets” in number, 4 stall, Main Level.

There was about 12 props in the tram, and they had got four or five out when a “bump” came, and the “bags” fell. It knocked the “socker” out. Deceased was bending down to reach a prop out of the tram when the fall occurred and buried him. About a couple of tons fell. They got him out in about 10 min. He was taken to the hospital in the ambulance.

Fred Weston, a deputy, said he was in charge of the district on the day the accident happened. He went to work at two o’clock on the date in question. He did not see the place before the accident happened. He should have been there a few minutes past eight o’clock, within a quarter of an hour of the fall. He was about 50 yards away from the scene of the accident, but he did not hear the fall; when he reached the place they had got him out. He was sensible and said something about the affair to him. He said a bump came and knocked the ” cocker” sprag out. He knew no more.

That was witnesses opinion of how the accident happened. The bump came from the top rock from a slip; witness did not know of the slip before. He had examined the place the day before, but it then sounded all right. Deceased was a very careful man.

The coroner remarked that in many cases the slip could not be foreseen.

The jury returned a verdict of “accidentally killed”

Mr J.E.Cliff was Foreman of the jury.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.