Floods – Narrow Escape from Drowning at Denaby.

November 1880

Mexborough and Swinton Times, November 5.

Narrow Escape from Drowning at Denaby.

During the floods on Friday evening last, Mr W.A.J.Mills, a retired draper had a very narrow escape from drowning at Denaby.

It appears that he was riding on horseback along the road leading from Melton Hill to Mexborough, when the accident happened. The road was covered with water to the death of about 4 feet for a distance of 500 yards Ali was going through this, his horse suddenly miss the role, and both it and its rider were precipitated down the embankment where the water lay to a much greater depth.

Mr Mills seized the horse by the bridle and both were struggling for some time against the current, which was here very rapid. Mr Mills was separated from his horse, he drifting into a hedge, while the animal was carried further away.

Pulling himself to the top of the page he laid himself over it and called as loud as he could for assistance. But ere he was discovered he must have been in his unpleasant and perilous position for a long time.

Eventually, some boat men, hearing a moaning noise as of someone in distress, determined, although it was very risky work, to get a boat and go in the direction from whence the sound proceeded.

They were John Cook of the “Excelsior” living at Thorne; Peter Webster, alias “Boat Uncle Sam,” of Hull; and William Milner, of the “Richard and Hannah,” of Hull. They and John Gower of Hall passed over two fields, and then crossed the canal.

Here they were in great danger of being carried away by the strong current flowing, but, fortunately, they succeeded in crossing. After searching about – you been very dark in time – for three quarters of an hour, they came upon the apparently lifeless body of a man, lying, as stated, near what is known as “The Ings Gate.”

They took him into the boat and landed as quickly as possible. He was in an unconscious state. Dr Sykes, of Mexborough, was sent for immediately, and arrived in a short time. Restoratives were freely used, and after great deal of Labour, the unfortunate man gradually “came around.”

On the following morning search was made for the horse, and it was found alive, but in a pitiful state. We should add that credit is due to Richard Hinchcliffe, of Stainforth and William Mortimer, of Thorne, amongst others for their service on the occasion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.