Denaby Utd – – Denaby 3 Grantham 1 – Denaby´s Sparkle Provides a Tip-Top Game

23 March 1940

Mexborough & Swinton Times, March 23

Midland League
Denaby´s Sparkle Provides a Tip-Top Game
Denaby Utd 3, Grantham Tn. 1

Grantham Town, who visited Tickhill Square on Saturday, can thank their lucky stars that their opponents had such remarkable misfortune in their second half shooting efforts. Denaby won easily enough by a 3-1 margin, but a little more steadiness in front of goal might very well have given them double figures. They missed no fewer than four “open” goals after the interval.

It was one of the best games played at Denaby for some time: not that the sprightliness came from the visitors: rather did Denaby infuse into their play a most delightful polish. Moralee and Gibbs were past masters in this scientific revelation and it was more than a pity that Moralee had such ill-luck with his final efforts: a performance such as he displayed was worth a bumper “bag” of goals. Gibbs was fleet of foot and possessed a touch of mastery that had the Grantham Defence at sixes and sevens.

Early Offensive

Denaby took up the offensive immediately, and Shephard, playing his first game with the club after a season or two´s absence, went only just wide. Gibbs was dangerous, and Healey, who gave a fine display in the Grantham Goal, had to save from Moralee. Healey was constantly in action, but Denaby´s shots lacked fire. Fahy had a grand opportunity in Grantham´s first attack but was too slow.

After ten minutes WRIGHT rushed forward with commendable opportunism after Ardron had worked an opening and though Healey advanced the ball cannoned off him into the net.

FAHY, however, equalised four minutes later with the best goal of the match and subsequently Grantham did a little more of the pressing, but seven mi8nutes from the interval DAVIS, running in to the front of goal, waited for a pass from Moralee and banged the ball into the net. Denaby had looked like scoring for some minutes.

The Last Goal

Two minutes after the restart ARDRON completed the scoring when he headed in a corner shot from Gibbs, and throughout the half Denaby continued to keep a very tight hand on the game. They preferred, however, to give an entertaining display of football rather than build up a large score.

Grantham lacked drive and method in the attack, and apart from Fahy´s early goal, Gibson did not have a really dangerous shot to save until 15 minutes from the end. On that occasion he saved with ease a point blank drive by Skaith from two yards out. By way of retaliation, Moralee struck the crossbar with a smashing shot almost immediately afterwards.

For Grantham, Archer defended capably, and Hog also worked hard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.