Mexborough and Swinton Times April 26, 1919
Montagu Cup Final
Denaby 1 Old Boys 2
The final of the Mexborough Montagu charity Cup, between Kimberworth Old Boys and Denaby United was played on the Mexborough ground on Monday and attracted a good gate.
The game was hotly contested and both teams are ideal cup fighters. The quality of the play was somewhat marred by temper and roughness. Peters was thrice cautioned by the referee. Garthwaite and Spencer for Denaby were early in the limelight Broadhead kept his wing men busy, but found in Severnsthe Denaby full-back, a tough proposition.
Denaby took the lead after 40 min through Garthwaite, who shot from close range. There was a breathless moment for the Denaby spectators when Sleight, with the goalie quite out of reach, headed across the goalmouth. Wood swung across a beautiful centre, which Garthwaite was unable to convert. At the interval Kimberworth were pressing strongly.
Kimberworthopened the second half with a determined attack. Both sides exerted pressure, and some rather wild play createda crop of accidents, about five players being down is as many minutes.
The second half was about 15 min advanced when Wightman, receiving from Broadhead, shot hard and true, and in spite of a valiant attempt by Shepherd, equalised. The Denaby forward rallied, andWoog sent in a hotshot which missed narrowly. The Kimberworth forwards gave the Denaby defence a restless time, though shooting at goal seemed their weak point.
The two extreme wingmen played beautifully and it was through Dobson, who worked unflaggingly throughout, that Kimberworth were placed ahead. About 20 minutes from time. Whightman, dribbling through a maze of Denaby men, passed out to Dobson, who from near the corner flag sent in a dropping shop, which curled into the net. Denaby strove hard to wipe out the deficit, but the Kimberworth defence held out.
Mr W.A.Lewis presented the cup to J.Harrison, the captain of Kimberworth. Be mentioned that the cup was presented for competition by Mr F.J.O.Montaguein 1897, and was one for the first time by Ecclesfield. It would be taken away from the Mexborough district on this occasion for the second time only in its history.