Murderous Assault at Station Hotel – Trial

October 1880

Mexborough & Swinton Times, November 19

Seriously Assaulting a Wife at Denaby.

John Carr, Collier of Denaby, was charged with unlawfully wounding his wife.

Mary Carr, the prisoner’s wife, said on the Tuesday previous she went into the Station Inn, Conisbrough, with her husband at his request. Her husband after it said, “You shall not sit with me,” and told the landlord to put her out. She left the room and sat herself down on the doorway of the public house. After she had been there for some time she returned to the room where her husband was and said, “If you won´t let me stay with you, you shan’t drink this glass of beer,” at the same time taking away the glass. She did not suppose her husband meant to it her so hard, but he immediately struck her a severe blow on the side of the head with a stick. She bled a great deal. She went for the doctor, but he was not in. A woman was dressed by Mr Harrison, chemist, of Conisbrough. She had no home to go to, and went to the Doncaster Workhouse, where she now remained

John Thomas Warburton said he was waiting at the Conisbrough station, at about two o’clock on Tuesday the eighth inst when he saw the prisoner’s wife walking up and down outside the station. Afterwards he went to the Station Inn and noticed the prisoner with three children there. One of them, which was in his arms appeared to be in a dying state. The man had a glass of beer before him, and he said he had given the child that looked badly some port.

The wife came into the room several times and the last time she came in she took hold of the glass of beer which her husband was in the act of drinking. He took up his stick and struck her on the left side of the face.

The blow because the woman to bleed a good deal; he never saw anyone bleed so much before. The stick split owing to the force of the blow.

Thomas Somerville, surgeon at the Doncaster Union, said on Tuesday last he saw the prosecutrix in the Union. She had a very blanched appearance. He found that her clothes were saturated with blood. He proceeded to examine her head, but finding that it had been bandaged, he decided to wait until the morrow before he examined the wound. The next morning he found that the wound was about 1 inch long and half an inch in depth; also a contusion on the right elbow. At that time erysipelas might have set in, but it had not, and the woman was now out of danger, although she would not yet have to leave the house.

PS Morley deposed that about 4 PM on Tuesday, the eighth inst, he apprehended the prisoner at Conisbrough, and charging with unlawfully wounding his wife in the Station Inn. He said “Yes, I struck her, she had my glass of beer and said she would not let me have any more.” He previously saw the woman in the druggist shop. She were saturated with blood.

The prisoner laid the blame upon his wife, saying the present condition of himself and his family was through her conduct. She had sold everything in the house for drink.

PC Cade was called to speak for the prisoner. He said that while the man lived in Mexborough yet no complaints about him. But his wife was a bad woman, and he corroborated the statement of the prisoner in that respect.

PC Moore said he knew nothing against the prisoner.

The chairman said, taking all the circumstances of the case into consideration, the magistrates had decided to send the prisoner to jail for one calendar month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.