New Protestant Church at Denaby Main

September 1900

Mexborough and Swinton Times, September 21.

New Protestant Church at Denaby Main

Arrangements have been made for the opening today (Friday) of the new Protestant Church at Denaby Main. The ceremony will be performed by his Grace, the Archbishop of York.

The church is built on land made over in accordance with the wish of the late Mr Andrew Montagu, of Melton Park, expressed long before his death.

Recognising the great want of a Church of England Church at Denaby Main, the present Lt F.J.O. Montagu, through its trustees, has contributed a donation of £1000 towards the cost of the building. In addition to this, 15,000 been obtained from the Marriot bequest, and Messrs Kilner brothers, glass bottle manufacturers, Conisborough, have contributed £100.

Up to the present time the services of the Church of England have been held in the large school erected by the Denaby and Cadeby Main Colliery Company. The building is known as the School Church, and is capable of accommodating 1,000 persons. In addition to the Church of England services, the Wesleyan’s, the Primitive Methodist and the Salvation Army all carry a religious work at Denaby Main.

This, the following particulars of the construction of the new church will no doubt be of interest; the name is a 2 feet long by 45 feet wide, by 45 feet high, and lighted by four windows to the North and 5 to the South. Accommodation is provided for 414 adults. The chancel is trophy long by 25 1/2 feet wide, with three rows of seats on each side, accommodating altogether 32 adults and 18 boys. The sacrarium is 15 feet long by trophy wife, and is lighted with east and south windows.

The Chapel, to the north of the chancel this and the sacrarium, is 36 feet long by 11 feet wide, seated with chairs, to accommodate 37 persons, and lighted by three windows to the North and one to the East.

The organ chamber, which is on the South of the chancel and separated from same by a wooden screen, is 14′ x 20′ 6 inches, and lighted by Windows to the East. To the South of the organ chamber is situated the priest´s vestry, 12 feet 6″ x 15′, and joining this there is a choir vestry, 31 feet long by 7’6″ wide.

The special feature of the choir vestry is that it also answers the purpose of corridor leading from the Church to the Vicarage, now being built. A corridor would have been requisites in any case, and this one has been widened to form choir vestry as well, and so lessen expense.

At the end of the choir vestry is a porch, which will form the choir entrance and also entrance to vicarage. At the West End of naive and situated between the two parties is the baptistery, 9′ x 8′.

A bell turret is fixed on main ridge over chancel for 1 bell. There are four entrances to the church, to, as before mentioned, and either side of baptistery at Western; one on the north side, during the Chapel and want to choir vestry. Below the Chapel is situated the heating chamber.

The church is built of Hammer stressed Mexborough, and Hooton Roberts stone, with all quoins and dressings of Ancaster stone. The roof is covered with Staffordshire red tiles, and the bell turret with green slates. The glass for all Windows is white sand. The seats, roof principles, cornices etc are stained with green naphthalene stain, and the interior of the church’s glass. The heating is carried out on warm air principal. The building is lighted with gas.

The bell has been supplied by Messrs C Carr Ltd, of Birmingham. The cost of the Church, exclusive of organ etc is £3500.

The vicarage, adjoining the Church, which is now being built at a cost of £1500, contains a house for the vicar, and also one for the curate, both under the same roof, but fitted up separately complete. The accommodation of the vicar includes dining room, drawing room, study, entrance Hall, cloakroom and lavatory, kitchen, scullery and pantry on the ground floor; with nursery, two bedrooms, lavatories etc on the first floor, and two attics; also stable and coach house.

The accommodation for the curate consists of dining room, kitchen, scullery, pantry and entrance Hall on the ground floor; study, bedroom and bathroom on first floor, and two attics.

Both the Vicarage and Curateage are connected by passages to the Church. The building had been erected with pressed bricks, with stone dressings, and roofed with red tiles.

The contract is fully carry out of the work are Messrs B. Wortley, and Sons, of Doncaster

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.