Nov 02 – Denaby 2 Matlock 2 – Peter Jones – Denaby `Find´

November 1963

South Yorkshire Times, November 2.

Peter Jones – Denaby `Find´

Denaby United 2 , Matlock Town 2

Tickhill Square saw one of its best games for some time on Saturday, and certainly Denaby’s finest performance at home this season. They had Matlock reeling, came in for some punishment themselves, and hit back again with a fighting finish only to be robbed of a win 5 min from time by a shot which fluked its way into the net.

Denaby had three new men in Saturdays team. Cox at inside left is an experienced player who knows his football, and although he seemed to tire a little in the second half, he could be just what is needed to hold the attack together.

Bailey at right half will probably benefit from a few more games, in which he can settle into the team, although he played competently enough on Saturday, but the most outstanding of the trio was sent off Peter Jones. He play coolly, solidly, and occasionally brilliant with the power to switch defence to attack in a split second. Denaby have a `find´ here.

Early Lead.

No one would have thought that they were bottom of the league before Saturday’s match, when within 9 min. they had taken the lead. Wharam pushed the ball up to Cox in the penalty area, he centred across the goalmouth out of reach of Spittle, for Gray to run onto and score.

But once ahead Denaby had to defend for quite a time at Matlock kept up a constant pressure which the defence – Whant and Foster in particular, getting through a lot of work – stood up to well, but it ended in a goal in the 20th minute.

Off could only get his fingertips to a high ball from the right and Duggins moved in to punch in the equaliser.

But Denaby – in contrast to some recent performances -h it back immediately. Martin, getting something like his fair share of the ball, raced half the length of the right wing, turned in to dummy his way past two men, and squared the ball for Gray to put Denaby ahead again in the 32nd minute with his second goal.

It was good to see Gray back to his old form again, finding the net.

Staunch Defence

Matlock went for the equaliser again in the second half, but again the defence stood up to them. Hough twice flung himself at attackers feet and pulled off one outstanding full-length save from a Duggins drive.

This is turning point came midway through the second half, when, Denaby retaliated again. And looked more than likely to increase their lead. Wood came close with a couple of shots; Cox missed an open goal after mistake by Goodwin allowed Roebuck in to send across a well-placed pass and Spittle had to fling himself at the ball and Gray to end one attack.

Everything looks set for a home win when Matlock made what was by then an isolated attack in the 85th minute. Foster’s tackle Sanders as he was about to shoot, block the ball, but it spun into the air, over Hough and dropped into the net.

Although a point was lost, Saturday showed a new spirit and effort in Denaby display which should take them well away from the bottom if it continues. Their performance was a tonic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.